A little over a week ago the company I work for (Directv) announced they were having a mandatory shiftbid. What this means is the company realined the available shifts and everyone was required to bid for the new shift they want. Currently I work Thursday through Monday 7:30a to 4p. Abbey is in daycare three days a week from 8a to about 5p and with Eric on the weekends. Fortunately I've been able to leave work for church, but this means I have to stay late three other days of the week to make up the 4 hours I miss.
Yesterday they announced the results of the shiftbid. My new schedule? Tuesday through Saturday 3:30p to midnight. At first I had my concerns about the shift (who wouldn't, I mean, midnight is pretty late to work) but realized it has it's advantages. First, I get Sunday off which means I can go to church without having to go to and from work. Second, we may be able to work it out so that Abbey no longer has to go to daycare. Not only would we save $400 a month, but I'd always know who she was with (not that I don't right now at daycare, but...well, you know what I mean). The disadvantage of the shift is that I'd really only see Eric Saturday mornings and all day Sunday. Well, and then when we passed Abbey off in the afternoons. But I guess you do what you have to do, right?
Saturday, July 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Sounds a little crazy, but possible. Saving $400 extra a month would be nice, but not seeing Eric not so nice. Hopefully it will work for you. Keep us posted on how you like it.
You'll have to plan your time a little better, but the money and the extra time with Abbey will be nice. You can make this crazy schedule work for you. --Scott
Yeah, and not seeing your husband has it's advantages, too! just kidding. But it can be done (if I can do it anyone can!). Hang in there, I'm sure this'll work out great.
Post a Comment