Sunday, July 8, 2007

I have my own life, don't I?

After posting the picture of Abbey covered in spaghetti I started thinking about how my life seems to be all about her. I mean you wouldn't know from reading my blog that I do anything other then sit and watch her grow and wait for those picture-perfect moments to grab my camera. And would that really be so bad? Really?

I love being a mother, but some days it has its frustrations--like when separation anxiety is at an all time high and I can't even get off the couch without Abbey going into hysterics. On those days I look forward to being at work and then I feel guilty for feeling that way. I love Abbey, her chubby cheeks, her silly, toothy grin, her independence and opinion, her curiousity and how she holds books like she already knows how great they are. But I also love Abbey when she goes to bed at 8pm instead of at 10pm--like she did tonight--and when sleeps in until at least 7am on my days off.

The fact of the matter is is that I don't know how to be just a mother--even though I got to stay home with Abbey until she was 9 months old. Does this make me a bad mother? I don't think so. I have my own life, don't I?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Being a mom is a full-time job, but I think it is important to also do things for myself. I enjoy working and doing things that continue to develop my talents and skills. It doesn't make you a bad mom to enjoy your personal time--maybe it even makes you better. My blog has lots of stuff about my kids too so I've tried to do a few posts just about me. Here's your challenge: do a blog about your favorite things. I saw this one and tried it myself. It was fun!